Yesterday (April 5th) Lena turned two weeks old - the same day Aunt Beth turned 25! We can't believe how big she is getting already, and she makes us smile and laugh throughout the day. She continues to make her funny/sassy face when she stretches and still makes her grunting sound for lots of reasons. She's definitely figured out how to use her lungs and cries to let us know when something is wrong. We're getting better about figuring out what the problem is, whether she's hungry, has a dirty diaper, is tired, or just wants to be held or have some attention. We love her smiles while she sleeps, after she eats, and she even smiles while looking at us. We know that she isn't genuinely smiling in reaction to us yet, but it still makes us feel good to see she is happy and content.
| I'm 2 weeks old! |
Mimi and Honey got us off to a great start the first two weeks home, but now Lena and I have been having some good days just the two of us. She still likes to stretch out and play on her play mat, relaxes in her swing, and now she even chills in her Lamb Seat while I get ready for the day. We read books, sing songs, and have been enjoying taking walks around the neighborhood with this beautiful weather.
This morning, Cory decided to take the morning off. I know he misses us during the day when he goes to work, even though I try to send him lots of pictures throughout the day. It's just not the same as being here, so he decided to sleep in with us and got to go to her 2 week doctor's appointment with us too. Lena is doing so great! She is now 7 pounds and 2 ounces, and measures 19 7/8 inches. Dr. McDavitt was pleased again to see how alert she is. She said that Lena is looking perfect, and for us to just keep doing what we're doing. What a relief!! No shots this time, but she did have to get her heel pricked for some state testing. That was not easy to watch, but at least they let me hold her and try to comfort her.
Up until now, I have been making sure Lena eats every 2-3 hours during the day and every 3-4 hours at night. In the beginning, I was having to wake her up to eat. But lately, she's been waking up on her own. The pediatrician had told me that at 2 weeks if her eating habits were going well, it would be ok to let her sleep for longer periods at night. So last night she ate awesome before going to sleep, and went 6 hours between feedings. Then she went 5 hours between her middle of the night and first morning feeding. It's like she knew she was 2 weeks old and it was ok to sleep longer! Which means I got a longer stretch of sleep than usual too! I'm sure this won't be the case every night, but we shall see :)
We have been so blessed to have friends and coworkers come by to visit and bring us meals the past few days. We are going to be so spoiled, but it lets us focus our attention and energy on Miss Lena rather than cooking. We are so thankful and appreciative.
I am continuing to feel great. I have my moments when I doubt that I know what the heck I'm doing. But I am beyond happy and so in love with my daughter, and that outweighs any stress, concern, or doubt that comes my way. Cory is such a wonderful support for me as well. He steps up and helps out with anything and everything. He's so good about noticing when to step in and let me take a break, or simply asking me how I'm feeling. Yet another one of my many blessings :) We have so much to be thankful for, and we know it!
| Bath time is much easier with our new bath pad! |
No comments:
Post a Comment